Monday, August 10, 2009

The World's Longest Yard Sale


Saturday D and I hit the open road to take in the sights and sounds of America's Longest Yard Sale. It runs down Highway 127 from Kentucky to Alabama. We started in Covington, Ky. and drove down 127 through Florence. I'm not sure how many miles we covered but we were out gettin' our yard sale on for about five hours. This was the first weekend in about a month that we haven't had any sort of plans or obligations. It was just the two of us and it was really, really great. Some couples spend an evening sharing a bottle of wine and a romantic meal to reconnect but for us five hours in heat and humidity rummaging through other people's old stuff gets us right back in sync as a couple. I guess that's how we roll!


I was looking for a couple pieces of milk glass to add to my assortment at home. I also decided to start a collection of vintage teacups and I knew I would be able to find a few that I liked. There were lots of great things I would have loved to buy-including a box of vintage horseshoes for $5-but I agreed not to make any large purchases. I found two milk glass compotes($15), a Collection of short stories from the New Yorker($1), two glass bottles($2), four teacups($40) and my favorite find, a vintage baby blue sewing machine($30). Total spent $88. Spending the afternoon with my guy on the road less traveled- priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment