Monday, January 17, 2011

legacy

There are things, worries, and concerns that keep me up at night and perhaps a fashion blog seems an inappropriate forum to discuss these topics which is why I keep them to myself.


My parents were part of the civil rights movement in their hometown. I think that's why it seemed so real to me and not a part of ancient history. I've always been aware of the real life sacrifices that were made for me to have the kind of upbringing I was lucky enough to have.


As part of interracial couple in a city where this can still raise some eyebrows, I sometimes am acutely aware of how much work is left to do. And sometimes this makes me very sad. Then I look around. We have created a family that sees love before color. We have created friendships that while based on commonalities, also celebrates our differences. No matter what the nightly news tells me I believe in the goodness of people and that love will always triumph over hate. Happy Birthday Dr. King and thank you!





"Darkness cannot drive out darkness;only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate;only love can do that"
-Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment