Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Smitten with Smitten Kitchen




D had a crap day at work yesterday and I wanted to do something super sweet for him. I've been collecting recipes from Smitten Kitchen for a while. If you've never read her blog it is a must read. She's charming, the photography is mouth watering and the the recipes are wonderful. Everything I've ever attempted from her blog has turned out so tasty. But, I've never tried to bake anything. I have baked goods-phobia stemming from a lemon bar incident that we don't even speak of in this house. Anyway, I was feeling brave so I decided to try the pound cake with strawberry coulis. Right off the bat I think I'm in trouble because I don't have all purpose flour, I only have cake flour but I go ahead because I really don't feel like going to the store(and I google it and come to the conclusion that it's okay and in some instances better to use cake flour). I think baking is hard for me because I have a little ADD and you have to force yourself to slow down, read the recipe and add all of the ingredients in the proper order.

It turned out beautifully! It smelled so good that we skipped our proper dinner and had that with nice single malt scotch for our meal. I don't know if scotch is often paired with dessert but I highly recommend it as a cure for a really long day.


*The coulis turned out beautifully but i didn't feel like prettying up a plate to take a picture. Seriously, why are you still reading this get over to smitten kitchen and find something to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment